Skip to main content

Cocktails



So, in the time I've been away from this blog some interesting things have happened.  The biggest being Zac, Joe and I turning 40, school, work, etc.  One fun, new thing is that we bought a boat last summer.  More on that later.  
2020 has been an interesting year for everyone.  There is a world wide pandemic that forced the world into a quarantine to try to contain the virus.  Seems so sci-fi to type that out.  To be honest, I am a bit of a homebody so it wasn't too hard for me.  The hardest part was trying to do homeschooling for my second grader, while keeping my 1 year old occupied and somewhat quiet so that my husband can work from home.  No big deal.  It is fine, everything is fine.  😳

What does all of this have to do with cocktails?  (Besides the obvious of needing a vice with the homeschooling and toddler part.)  Well, in quarantine we didn't always want to go to the store if we didn't have to.  So when wine was running low, I turned to the old liquor cabinet.  I am not much of a hard liquor fan.  I usually stick to wine or beer and Joe pretty much only drinks beer or whiskey so our liquor cabinet was quite dusty.  But that changed during quarantine.  I discovered an appreciation for rum, whiskey and gin drinks.  My favorites are the ones with citrus, herbs and egg white foam.  Here are some of my favorite drink recipes.  

Shipwreck Cocktail (pictured above)

1 oz bourbon
1oz aged rum
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
4 dashes angostura bitters
mint garnish

Shake bourbon, rum, lime juice and simple syrup over ice in a shaker.  Strain into collins glass filled with crushed ice.  Add bitters to top and garnish with mint.  



 Sicilian Rose

1 oz aperol
1 oz gin
1/2 oz gimger simple syrup
2 oz rose wine

Stir in pitcher of ice. Strain into coupe.



World Famous Quarantine Cocktail

2 oz white rum
1/4 oz French vermouth
1/4 oz gin
1 oz fresh orange juice
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1-2 drops absinthe (or sambuca)
sugar to taste
egg white

Shake in shaker filled with ice.  Strain into coupe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Lovin'

Yes, I realize that we are almost half way through September and I have yet to publish a post for this month.  My apologies.  To make up for it, I have a double post of good fall recipes for you.  Here you go: Fall. I love it for so many reasons. The first reason being how everything outside is so beautiful. Trees are dressed in brilliant shades of warm colors. I love the crisp air. I love pulling out the sweaters and jeans. I love tailgating. There are so many wonderful things about fall, I haven’t even gotten to the food yet! I absolutely love fall foods. Low and slow stews, caramel apples, mulled cider, warm donuts…I could go on but I’m afraid I’d drool all over the keyboard.  What do you love most about fall? Game Day Cookies So here are the ingredients: first cool weather of the year, first weekend of college football and your husband is hosting a poker party. What does that add up to? Baking of course. I decided that those ingredients were the perfect recipe for game day coo

Chocolate Chip Nut Bars

Let me introduce you to your new favorite dessert.  Not only will this be your favorite because it tastes so delicious, but its so easy to make and you probably already have all, if not most, of the ingredients in your pantry.  Am I the only one who does this?  Before I recycle a magazine, I go through it and tear out the pages I think I'll want to keep.  This helps in getting tons of magazines out of the house, but then I end up with a binder of pages that I will go through and eventually throw away.  However, I found this gem of a recipe in that pile.  It is from an issue of Kraft Food and Family years ago.  The magazine uses this recipe as a perfect compliment to coffee, and oh please don't torture me, I'm sure it is absolutely divine with coffee.  I have been accompanying these bars with a good old glass of milk and it is a delight.  I'm sure a glass of red wine wouldn't be a bad partner either... These are best when they are warmed so that the chocolate is me

Shortbread Cookies

This is one of those recipes that you will either love me for or curse the day that I was born.  (It's August 6 for those of you who make these and then step on the scale.)  These cookies contain about a stick of butter per cookie...well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but that is precisely why they are so irresistible.  I made these a couple weeks ago and what I wouldn't give right now for one of these crumbly, decadent, sweet cookies melting in my mouth as I write this.  Sadly, they were polished off within a day or two of making them.  Yes, August 6 was on the receiving end of some curses the other week.  Poor August 6. This is a recipe I got from Barefoot Contessa.  What I love about it, other than the fact that they are downright addictive, is that it only takes a few ingredients and it is pretty quick and easy to put together.  You don't need a lot of special equipment, but if you have a shortbread cookie cutter, that would make it just that much easier.  Sinc