Skip to main content

2016 Book Review

 
 
Thanks to Bookstagram, I was inspired to do more reading than I have since I was young.  As I look back to review them all, I realize just how many good books I read this year.  I hope 2017 brings as many beloved stories for me to enjoy.

I will rate each book for a possible 5 stars.

Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
☆☆☆☆☆
I had no idea what to expect from this book, but it has quickly become one of my favorites.  The best way I can describe it is Downton Abbey meets Poldark meets Great Gatsby meets murder mystery.  It has love and intrigue.  This is a book that I see myself revisiting and recommending for years to come.

The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah
☆☆☆☆☆
I can't recall many books that moved me as much as this one did.  The characters, the historical detail, the writing are all truly supurb.  You won't be able to put this book down, and when you do, you won't look at life the same way again.

The Woman in White, Wilkie Collins
☆☆☆☆ 1/2
This is the book that defined modern mystery novels. Part love story, part Gothic mystery, it keeps you hoping and guessing.  I had only heard that this was a mystery so I was pleasantly surprised to be so invested in the characters.  This is a book I look forward to rereading.

North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell
☆☆☆☆
This book is often compared to Pride and Prejudice and for good reason.  It features a proud, handsome leading man and a smart, strong main character who is prejudiced against him.  I found myself very invested in Mr. Thornton.  I loved the book, but also highly recommend the BBC movie version.  I didn't want this book to end.

And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie
☆☆☆☆
 This book is hailed as her masterpiece. Written in the 1930s, it has to be the basis of the board game and movie Clue.  It is the quintessential murder mystery; it is perfection.

The Tennant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Bronte
☆☆☆
Those Bronte sisters had some talent!  This isn't a murder mystery, but there is plenty to the story that will keep you guessing. I did find that a portion of the book was a little drawn out and suffering. Although it was on the bigger side, I read this book quickly because I just had to know what happened.  Definitely a new favorite classic.

Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins
☆☆☆
The fast paced prose turned me off at first, but once I started getting into it, I enjoyed it more.  I was able to figure out the "culprit" early on, but still enjoyed the ending.  Definitely one of the most talked about new releases.  As opposed to one of the other new releases I read this year (Sweetbitter, see review below), this book lives up to the hype.

The Secret Keeper, Kate Morton
 ☆☆☆
I read two Kate Morton novels this year, and this is my favorite of the two.  The ending had me so completely blown away, I had to pick my jaw up off of my lap.

My Antonia, Willa Cather
☆☆☆
As you can see, I tend to prefer British literature, so I wanted to try out an American classic for a change.  My Antonia is a fitting story for today's debate on immigration.  A good reminder of the suffering our ancestors endured in trying to assimilate into American culture.

The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Agatha Christie
☆☆☆
This book is Christie's first novel written in the 1920s.  It is the classic "who put the poison in the drink" tale.  Although the "culprit" is sort of obvious, it's a good old-fashioned mystery; a short, enjoyable, easy read. 

Far from the Madding Crowd, Thomas Hardy
☆☆☆
I read Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles a few years ago and loved it so much, I wanted to try another one of his novels.  Far from the Madding Crowd had me instantly rooting for the protagonist, although the leading female character is a little frustrating.  The story keeps you guessing and hoping.  I also loved the movie version as it's ending is a bit more satisfying than the ending of the book.

The House at Riverton, Kate Morton
☆☆☆
This is a book to read if you are experiencing a Downton Abbey hangover.  It is a classic, upstairs/downstairs story.  Overall I enjoyed this book, but in the end, something about this book felt a little flat to me.  The characters were a little difficult to empathize with and parts of the early storyline seemed a little tacky to me.  The ending is fantastical but balanced the book.

Daisy Miller, Henry James
☆☆☆
This short story by Henry James is a precursor to his famous work Portrait of a Lady.  I read this story in under an hour and in that short time was transported to a different time and place.  You really root for the protagonist, but again, the main female character is quite frustrating.  A quick and good read.

Sweetbitter, Stephanie Danler
☆☆ 1/2
I just can't make up my mind on giving this book 2 or 3 stars.  While I found myself just wanting to finish the book to get it over with, by the time I finished reading, it stayed with me for awhile. I kept waiting for the characters to develop more but they felt hollow and I really lacked any empathy for a single character.  Also, I found the story's arc slow and plot weak. However, I enjoyed reading the behind the scenes in a seemingly glamorous industry. I loved the descriptions of food and wine. I still am not quite sure how I feel about the book, but I know I will never be unconscious of myself as a guest in a restaurant again.

Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
☆☆
This is the first and so far (I have yet to read Sandition and Other Stories) only Jane Austen novel I truly had to push myself to finish.  The protagonist was too goody goody and the romance wasn't truly felt. It pales in comparison to the many good works of Austen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Lovin'

Yes, I realize that we are almost half way through September and I have yet to publish a post for this month.  My apologies.  To make up for it, I have a double post of good fall recipes for you.  Here you go: Fall. I love it for so many reasons. The first reason being how everything outside is so beautiful. Trees are dressed in brilliant shades of warm colors. I love the crisp air. I love pulling out the sweaters and jeans. I love tailgating. There are so many wonderful things about fall, I haven’t even gotten to the food yet! I absolutely love fall foods. Low and slow stews, caramel apples, mulled cider, warm donuts…I could go on but I’m afraid I’d drool all over the keyboard.  What do you love most about fall? Game Day Cookies So here are the ingredients: first cool weather of the year, first weekend of college football and your husband is hosting a poker party. What does that add up to? Baking of course. I decided that those ingredients were the perfect recipe for game day coo

Chocolate Chip Nut Bars

Let me introduce you to your new favorite dessert.  Not only will this be your favorite because it tastes so delicious, but its so easy to make and you probably already have all, if not most, of the ingredients in your pantry.  Am I the only one who does this?  Before I recycle a magazine, I go through it and tear out the pages I think I'll want to keep.  This helps in getting tons of magazines out of the house, but then I end up with a binder of pages that I will go through and eventually throw away.  However, I found this gem of a recipe in that pile.  It is from an issue of Kraft Food and Family years ago.  The magazine uses this recipe as a perfect compliment to coffee, and oh please don't torture me, I'm sure it is absolutely divine with coffee.  I have been accompanying these bars with a good old glass of milk and it is a delight.  I'm sure a glass of red wine wouldn't be a bad partner either... These are best when they are warmed so that the chocolate is me

Shortbread Cookies

This is one of those recipes that you will either love me for or curse the day that I was born.  (It's August 6 for those of you who make these and then step on the scale.)  These cookies contain about a stick of butter per cookie...well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but that is precisely why they are so irresistible.  I made these a couple weeks ago and what I wouldn't give right now for one of these crumbly, decadent, sweet cookies melting in my mouth as I write this.  Sadly, they were polished off within a day or two of making them.  Yes, August 6 was on the receiving end of some curses the other week.  Poor August 6. This is a recipe I got from Barefoot Contessa.  What I love about it, other than the fact that they are downright addictive, is that it only takes a few ingredients and it is pretty quick and easy to put together.  You don't need a lot of special equipment, but if you have a shortbread cookie cutter, that would make it just that much easier.  Sinc