Skip to main content

Muesli



Supposedly it is officially spring.  Mother Nature did not get the memo.  It is very important on these gray, cold days to get a good, nutritious breakfast. 

I love me a big breakfast.  I like the huge plate of pancakes swimming in syrup or the plate full of bacon and eggs and toast and potatoes.  But the problem with these gut busters is that they aren't exactly giving you the start you want.  A plate of pancakes doesn't exactly put a spring in your step.  No, these are the breakfasts you go for when you are going to be storing fat for a winter long hibernation.  Now that was fine for me a few months ago, but contrary to what it looks like out my window, they say spring is on its way.  And I can only go with my top pant button unbuttoned for so long until it's time to give up my big breakfasts.

But I get so bored with cereal and toast.  What is one to do when one wants to make an interesting and healthy breakfast?  This is a great alternative to boring breakfasts.  I had this recently at a little shop in Chicago and I fell in love with the textures: the flaky, chewy, crunchy, smooth texture.  It is called muesli but I like to think of it as a sort of oatmeal parfait.  Parfait for breakfast, who would say no to that?    

This makes 2 parfaits.  Here's what you do:

For the toppings:  The night before I toasted the coconut in a dry sheet pan in a 350 oven for about 4 minutes, flipped it around and did another 3 minutes on the other side.  Then I dry roasted some walnuts (because that is what I had in the house but you could use pecans or almonds - oooooh almonds - or whatever nut you like) in the 350 oven for about 4 minutes.  You don't want to burn them so pay close attention.  When you open the oven and can smell them, you know they are done.  Then chop them and they are ready for the morning!

For the oatmeal yogurt mixture:  In the morning, I put a cup of quick oats in a bowl with some milk (sorry, no idea how much milk I used, just enough to make it a kind of wet consistency, but not soupy.)  I heated it for about 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave and then mixed in, I'd say about 3 heaping tablespoons of plain yogurt.  Use just enough yogurt to get a nice, parfait-y consistence.   Then mix in, again approximately, 2 teaspoons honey, or as much or as little as you like to taste.

For the fruit mixture:  I diced a golden delicious apple and banana into bite sized pieces. (Again, because they were what I had.)  You can use any combination of fruit you like.  Mix it up and get crazy.  Use berries or pomegranate seeds or tropical fruits like papaya and mango.  I'm not sure how citrus fruits would work in this, but if you are feeling it, go with it.  You could probably use thawed frozen fruits, but I'm not sure, I think that might be kind of smooshy and limp for this dish.  I love the word smooshy...but not if I'm talking about fruit...or myself. 

To assemble, put a little oatmeal mixture in the bottom of a glass, then top with a layer of the fruits, then a layer of the toppings and repeat until you get to the top.  Yum!

So there you are, an easy, delicious, and interesting breakfast.  Just looking at it makes me excited.  It's like having dessert for breakfast only better.  This has so many good for you things in it and it really sticks with you for the morning - not in the bad, have to unbutton the top button stick with you, but the good sticks with you.  The kind that makes you think you could maybe, just maybe, get up and put on those running shoes and take a run.  But if you are anything like me you will probably just sit down and watch a little tv.  Hey, I try!
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Lovin'

Yes, I realize that we are almost half way through September and I have yet to publish a post for this month.  My apologies.  To make up for it, I have a double post of good fall recipes for you.  Here you go: Fall. I love it for so many reasons. The first reason being how everything outside is so beautiful. Trees are dressed in brilliant shades of warm colors. I love the crisp air. I love pulling out the sweaters and jeans. I love tailgating. There are so many wonderful things about fall, I haven’t even gotten to the food yet! I absolutely love fall foods. Low and slow stews, caramel apples, mulled cider, warm donuts…I could go on but I’m afraid I’d drool all over the keyboard.  What do you love most about fall? Game Day Cookies So here are the ingredients: first cool weather of the year, first weekend of college football and your husband is hosting a poker party. What does that add up to? Baking of course. I decided that those ingredients were the perfect recipe for game day coo

Shortbread Cookies

This is one of those recipes that you will either love me for or curse the day that I was born.  (It's August 6 for those of you who make these and then step on the scale.)  These cookies contain about a stick of butter per cookie...well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but that is precisely why they are so irresistible.  I made these a couple weeks ago and what I wouldn't give right now for one of these crumbly, decadent, sweet cookies melting in my mouth as I write this.  Sadly, they were polished off within a day or two of making them.  Yes, August 6 was on the receiving end of some curses the other week.  Poor August 6. This is a recipe I got from Barefoot Contessa.  What I love about it, other than the fact that they are downright addictive, is that it only takes a few ingredients and it is pretty quick and easy to put together.  You don't need a lot of special equipment, but if you have a shortbread cookie cutter, that would make it just that much easier.  Sinc

Chocolate Chip Nut Bars

Let me introduce you to your new favorite dessert.  Not only will this be your favorite because it tastes so delicious, but its so easy to make and you probably already have all, if not most, of the ingredients in your pantry.  Am I the only one who does this?  Before I recycle a magazine, I go through it and tear out the pages I think I'll want to keep.  This helps in getting tons of magazines out of the house, but then I end up with a binder of pages that I will go through and eventually throw away.  However, I found this gem of a recipe in that pile.  It is from an issue of Kraft Food and Family years ago.  The magazine uses this recipe as a perfect compliment to coffee, and oh please don't torture me, I'm sure it is absolutely divine with coffee.  I have been accompanying these bars with a good old glass of milk and it is a delight.  I'm sure a glass of red wine wouldn't be a bad partner either... These are best when they are warmed so that the chocolate is me