Skip to main content

Letters to Pumpkin


Hi Pumpkin.  This is Mom and Dad.  We call you Pumpkin because we first found out about you on Halloween morning.  Here's a little story of how you came to be. 

Mom and Dad were very excited to become a mom and dad.  We wanted to start having a family soon after we got married.  But we soon discovered that it was much harder to make a family than we had thought.  It took us 21 LOOOONG months of trying hard and praying hard for you to come into our lives.  There were many times in those 21 months when we were afraid we might never be able to meet you.  It made us very sad. 

But then on Halloween morning in 2011, we woke up and took a test that tells us if you were in my belly or not.  Before that morning, we had taken many, many tests and they all said no.  But on that wonderful Halloween morning, the test said YES!  

We were so excited, we just had to tell people that you were there!  We told all your Grandmas and Grandpas and aunts, uncles and cousins that night.  It was definitely a good trick or treat for them!  None of them expected to hear such good news!  

We went to the doctor to see you on these pictures they call ultrasounds.  When you were six weeks you looked just like a peanut!  You were very, very tiny but even that early (that was actually only two weeks after we found out about you) we could hear your heartbeat.  It was so loud and fast!  I wanted to stare at you all day.  Then two weeks later, we got to see you at 8 weeks.  My, how you had grown!  Now you looked like a tiny teddy bear!  We could see your head and body and legs and arms!  We heard your heartbeat again, loud and strong!  I can't wait to see what you'll look like in a few more weeks!

This week you are 10 weeks.  Christmas is coming and we couldn't wait to share our news with the rest of the world.  In our Christmas cards, we let people know that you are coming in 2012.  We can't wait to meet you, 2012 is going to be a wonderful year! 

There are so many things we wonder right now; will you be a boy or a girl, what color will your eyes be, what will your hair look like?  There are so many things we look forward to; giving you hugs and kisses, rocking you to sleep, seeing you take your first steps, watching you go to school, and so much more. 

Even though you are not here just yet, we love you more than you can imagine.  We've prayed and dreamed of you, and now you are on your way!  We want you to know what we are thinking of in this time before you are born, so from time to time, we'll write you letters to let you know these things. 

We are so excited to meet you Pumpkin.  We love you!

Love,
Mom and Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Lovin'

Yes, I realize that we are almost half way through September and I have yet to publish a post for this month.  My apologies.  To make up for it, I have a double post of good fall recipes for you.  Here you go: Fall. I love it for so many reasons. The first reason being how everything outside is so beautiful. Trees are dressed in brilliant shades of warm colors. I love the crisp air. I love pulling out the sweaters and jeans. I love tailgating. There are so many wonderful things about fall, I haven’t even gotten to the food yet! I absolutely love fall foods. Low and slow stews, caramel apples, mulled cider, warm donuts…I could go on but I’m afraid I’d drool all over the keyboard.  What do you love most about fall? Game Day Cookies So here are the ingredients: first cool weather of the year, first weekend of college football and your husband is hosting a poker party. What does that add up to? Baking of course. I decided that those ingredients were the perfect recipe for game day coo

Shortbread Cookies

This is one of those recipes that you will either love me for or curse the day that I was born.  (It's August 6 for those of you who make these and then step on the scale.)  These cookies contain about a stick of butter per cookie...well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but that is precisely why they are so irresistible.  I made these a couple weeks ago and what I wouldn't give right now for one of these crumbly, decadent, sweet cookies melting in my mouth as I write this.  Sadly, they were polished off within a day or two of making them.  Yes, August 6 was on the receiving end of some curses the other week.  Poor August 6. This is a recipe I got from Barefoot Contessa.  What I love about it, other than the fact that they are downright addictive, is that it only takes a few ingredients and it is pretty quick and easy to put together.  You don't need a lot of special equipment, but if you have a shortbread cookie cutter, that would make it just that much easier.  Sinc

Chocolate Chip Nut Bars

Let me introduce you to your new favorite dessert.  Not only will this be your favorite because it tastes so delicious, but its so easy to make and you probably already have all, if not most, of the ingredients in your pantry.  Am I the only one who does this?  Before I recycle a magazine, I go through it and tear out the pages I think I'll want to keep.  This helps in getting tons of magazines out of the house, but then I end up with a binder of pages that I will go through and eventually throw away.  However, I found this gem of a recipe in that pile.  It is from an issue of Kraft Food and Family years ago.  The magazine uses this recipe as a perfect compliment to coffee, and oh please don't torture me, I'm sure it is absolutely divine with coffee.  I have been accompanying these bars with a good old glass of milk and it is a delight.  I'm sure a glass of red wine wouldn't be a bad partner either... These are best when they are warmed so that the chocolate is me